Friday, November 7, 2008

Just a thought...

I was with a great group of girls last night when our conversation turned to the latest news of the passing of both Proposition 8 in CA and 102 here in AZ. We were all happy with the outcome, but with that came all the back fire towards the church in the form of commercials and protests at temples for supporting these propositions.
My friend found this quote that was given in 1978 by Elder Neal A. Maxwell and when I read it I couldn't help but think how it pertains to our situation today and how blessed we are to have prophets and apostles on this earth to guide us and our families.

""Make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters, in the months and years ahead, events are likely to require each member to decide whether or not he will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions.President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had 'never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional or political life.'This is hard doctrine, but it is particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ. . . .Your discipleship may see the time when such religious convictions are discounted. . . Resistance to abortion will be seen as primitive. Concern over the institution of the family will be viewed as untrendy and unenlightened.... Before the ultimate victory of the forces of righteousness, some skirmishes will be lost. Even in these, however, let us leave a record so that the choices are clear, letting others do as they will in the face of prophetic counsel. There will also be times, happily, when a minor defeat seems probable, but others will step forward, having been rallied to rightness by what we do.We will know the joy, on occasion, of having awakened a slumbering majority of the decent people of all races and creeds which was, till then, unconscious of itself. Jesus said that when the fig trees put forth their leaves,'summer is nigh.'Thus warned that summer is upon us, let us not then complain of the heat."Elder Neal A. Maxwell, "Meeting the Challenges of Today," BYU Devotional, October 10, 1978

9 comments:

Jesmyluk said...

When I thought about me and mine following the prophets and disciples, I remembered the words of Esther. "Wither thou goest I shall go." Granted Esther was talking about cleaving unto her husband but I think it applies... for the prophets are speaking for and in behalf of the Lord, our God. We are also suppose to cleave unto the Lord. Therefore Esther words are apropo in my opinion. As for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Thank you Shelby for this inspiring quote. 80)

The Bluths said...

Ethan and I were just talking about this when I looked at your blog. Good timing. We were looking at all the celebrities that are having a hard time with this and lashing out. There are some angry people out there.

Anonymous said...

Yea BFF! Oh, and I tried calling you last week and no answering maching picked up so I couldn't leave a msg. Anyways, I was calling to see if you could trim my hair soon. Just give me call when you can. Thanks!

Brooke said...

Loved to read this....I feel the same way!

Arianne Pearce said...

Oh my. I really loved looking through your blog. I love all the pictures and everything you wrote about. I really enjoy Dallin and the time that I have had with you guys. I am so thankful you came into my life! You are a wonderful mother and a great friend. Thanks for this post. I really appreciate the message, it was really inspiring.

Becca said...

That's a great quote! Thanks for sharing it!

Amy Gibson said...

Cute new pics. I wish I was there :). We have no fun neighbors here.

Teri said...

hey I found something for you!!! come by sometime :) dinner next week??

AnnaMarie said...

I want more blogging!